[MAY 1 – KOBE, JAPAN] – Who says you can’t improve on a classic? For 20 years, the GEL-CUMULUS™ shoe model has been a firm favorite among its loyal fans from performance runners to beginners. But in running there is always room for improvement, which is why the ASICS Institute of Sport Science (ISS) has improved the cushioning and doubled the performance of the fit in areas  of the new GEL-CUMULUS™ 21 model giving runners their superior ride in the iconic shoe.
The development of every ASICS shoe including its legend models sees them go through an intensive testing and development cycle in which the new shoe will only be released if the data proves it outperforms the predecessor. For the GEL-CUMULUS™ 21 model the improvement goal was on giving an even smoother ride so they focused on improving the fit and cushioning.
They did this by introducing two new features to the GEL-CUMULUS™ 21 shoe model:
- The improved discrete eyelet construction for an even better fit with significant improvement on the lateral side and increased performance on the medial side.
- The combination of FLYTEFOAM™ midsole, softer FLYTEFOAM™ Propel, and Rearfoot GEL™ technology has improved the ride comfort giving runners increased cushioning.
Sara Hall, US marathon runner and ASICS ambassador said: “True to its name, the GEL-CUMULUS is my pick for maximum cloud-like cushioning. It is light enough to run faster runs in but sturdy enough for high mileage and keeps my feet moving in a neutral position. They are also ideal for when my legs are extra beat up and I’m taking it one mile at a time in training. I’ve been wearing the GEL-CUMULUS for 14 years now. They were the first shoes I received and trained in as a professional runner and I’ve gone on a journey with them ever since.”
The GEL-CUMULUS™ 21 model will be available from ASICS retail and online stores as well as specialist running outlets from May 1st 2019 priced at [MARKETS TO INSERT LOCAL RRP]. Stockists include: [MARKETS TO INSERT LOCAL STOCKISTS]
To find out more about the product, please visit
GEL-CUMULUS™ 21 footwear video: GEL-CUMULUS™ 21 and or asics.com
The GEL-CUMULUS™ 21 shoe’s proprietary technologies are:
- The improved discrete eyelet construction: improves the lateral and medial fit to enhance support and increase performance of the fit.
- Engineered mesh upper: Multi-directional mesh, knit in such a way to provide added support in some areas while in others there is more space between the yarn to reduce weight and enhance breathability.
• FLYTEFOAM™ technology:
Lighter and more durable than traditional midsole material.
• FLYTEFOAM™ Propel technology:
Lightweight midsole foam that is soft and bouncy.
• ORTHOLITE lasting:
2 mm of soft, durable cushioning stitched just under the sockliner for enhanced comfort.
• Forefoot twist GEL™ technology:
Softer material in the forefoot that works with GUIDANCE LINE™
midsole technology to position the foot for a more natural stride.
• Visible Rearfoot GEL™ technology:
Visible rearfoot GEL™ technology found under the heel that reduces shock when the foot contacts the ground.
• Full ground contact:
Any construction that keeps the outside of the sole in contact with the
ground. This design produces a smooth transition regardless of where
the foot contacts the ground.
• GUIDANCE LINE™ technology:
Follows the natural progression of the foot from impact to toe-off, helping the foot move forward more naturally and encouraging a more consistent running stride.
• Light AHAR™ sponge rubber:
Outsole rubber that reduces wear and enhances cushioning.
• Super AHAR™ heel-plug:
Higher-abrasion rubber used in areas of heavy wear to extend the life of the shoe.
• I.G.S™ (Impact Guidance System):
Design philosophy that links components such as GEL™ technology cushioning and GUIDANCE LINE™ technology together to enhance the foot’s natural gait from foot strike to toe-off.
 ASICS Institute of Sport Science testing – Evaluation of static fit-test scores revealed doubled the performance of the fit on the lateral side and significant improvement in fit on the medial side.